#FridayFrivolity - Pokemon Go! Funny Memes, My Own Real-Life Crazy Stories, and More!


Hello Friday, and hello friends!  I'm so glad to see you again at this week's #FridayFrivolity.  :)  This week's theme is "childhood" and I can't remember which of us chose it, but it worked out pretty well I must say... because lately a good number of people have been a little distracted by a blast from the past.  For some of those people it is a blast from their childhood, but for EVERYONE involved it's a return to childhood, in a way.  

Anybody got a guess what I'm talking about?  

Oh yea, baby, I'm talking about Pokemon Go! 

As a game it's fun... as a phenomenon it's FASCINATING!


If you're not familiar with it already, Pokemon Go is an augmented reality game, so picture a Pokemon video game (involving collecting Pokemon and growing them into bigger and cooler Pokemon that can battle one another) layered on top of google maps.  In order to collect new Pokemon, you actually have to move about the "real world."  You can play the game while you're sitting on your couch, but you're unlikely to catch much.  

This game has grown by leaps and bounds since it was released on July 6th.  And last I heard, it has more activity these days than Twitter or Facebook!

When my husband and I go to the park to walk our dogs now, there are literally clusters of people standing around staring at their phones, or walking around the park in slow motion... staring at their phones.  Nintendo has finally succeeded in making gamers actually go outside, though interaction appears to still a bit of a stretch.  ;P


^above was edited for my gentle #FridayFrivolity readers' delicate eyes.

Other people say Nintendo isn't on a quest to achieve fitter, fresh-air Gamers, they're just slow in catching up on the times...



Aside from the HUGE uptick in (distracted, ambling) foot traffic at our local park, my husband and I also stumbled across a Pokemon Go! meet-up in downtown Charlotte a few nights ago... it was literally hundreds of people (the local newspaper estimated about 1000 over the course of the evening), milling around, staring at their phones, and occasionally muttering to themselves.  Stuff like, "Oh my gosh, a Charmander..." or "Ugh, not another Zubat..."  

I report all this lovingly, of course, because my husband and one of our friends hopped right in and joined the Poke-hunting fun!  Proof of how distracted all those folks were?  Our other friend and I were walking around holding a 9-week-old puppy she had just adopted, and we only had about four people commented on its epic cuteness.  Because none of the rest of the hundreds of people ever looked up from their phones to notice it.  And yes, it is a particularly epically cute puppy, well-worth notice, wordless cooing, and assorted compliments.  Seeeeeeee?



Unfortunately you are correct, adorable puppy.  All non-phone cute things are at a bit of a disadvantage at the moment...

PS, my own dog is a gamer too!  




This is a photo my husband took from a nearby apartment building the evening of the meet-up... check out the craziness!  And mind you, this was taken AFTER the frenzy / crowd had died down a good bit.


Full photo cred to my talented husband!

In case it's hard to see, the crowd extends PAST the red / white / blue fountain on the righthand side.

And yes, it was inevitable that at one point in the evening somebody would shout "I've got a Mewtwo!" and the WHOLE CROWD would run to that side of the park.  Most folks probably half figured it was a prank all along.. but WHAT IF IT WASN'T?  So they ran along with everybody else, just in case.  ;P  

It was a hugely entertaining evening, even for those of us who weren't playing Pokemon Go.  

(for the record, I do play, I was just more interested in the puppy at the time.)

I did wonder though, as I was walking around that huge crowd of (mostly) young and single people, how many couples would credit their "how we met" to Pokemon Go in a few years.  And then I realized... none of them will.  Because nobody was meeting anybody... everybody was staring at their phones.  

Oh well... not sure whether to laugh or cry about that one!   

I don't even have time to go into all the news stories lately about people falling off cliffs, getting robbed, or stumbling across corpses in weird places while playing Pokemon Go in the past few weeks (all of those things have happened multiple times too!)... but please people, if you're playing, pay attention to your safety!  After all, you wouldn't want to round a corner and come across this...



Scary Pikachu is scary...

But hey, maybe Pokemon Go will lead you to God! He is reputed to work in mysterious ways... and the game will DEFINITELY lead you to church, if nothing else, since a lot of Pokestops happen to be located at churches.  This particular church is making the most of it!




This last one is dedicated to everyone who still owns what my friend Lisa at Syncopated Mama calls "a dumb phone"... our hearts go out to you!  ;P


I'll leave you with some nifty gear to show your Poke-loyalty...  this stuff is for the grown-ups, keep scrolling for stuff for kids:

And here are some fun gift ideas for the stylish poke-hunting munchkins in your life:

Anybody in need of some Pokemon decor?  I can help you out with that too, haha!  
All right, now I'll stop.  ;P

Now on to the link-up! :D 


Friday Frivolity Superbowl / Football Memes Edition! (Sort of, Not Really...  ;P) Plus the Friday Frivolity LINKY PARTY - the blog link-up for all things Fun, Funny, Happy, and Hopeful!



Friday Frivolity Superbowl / Football Memes Edition! (Sort of, Not Really...  ;P) Plus the Friday Frivolity LINKY PARTY - the blog link-up for all things Fun, Funny, Happy, and Hopeful!


Featured Post from Last Week:
In a fun twist, since we now have four hosts we will also have FOUR FEATURES.... but you will have to go check out the other three blogs to see if you were featured there!  ;)  











The Hosts:


Friday Frivolity Host Sarah Eliza from Devastate Boredom




Sarah Eliza is on a mission to Devastate Boredom by living a life full of all of her favorite things... friendship and connection, laughter, books and music, furbaby love, minimalism, wellness pursuits, Paleo-ish cooking, and on and on!  Curious about how to create a capsule wardrobe without losing your mind??  Check out her series here!



Host, Lisa, Friday Frivolity Superbowl / Football Memes Edition! (Sort of, Not Really...  ;P) Plus the Friday Frivolity LINKY PARTY - the blog link-up for all things Fun, Funny, Happy, and Hopeful!
Facebook // Twitter //Pinterest // Google+  // Bloglovin

Lisa is an awesomely hilarious and authentic writer who marches to her own drum on her blog Syncopated Mama, providing an "un-labelly spot" for all the happily off-beat folks out there who have been wishing to find kindred spirits.  She shares her adventures building a natural home, teaching her adorbs daughter, establishing and refining positive communication skills, camping, creating, cooking, and so much more!  If you have preschoolers at home you have GOT to check out her awesome series, Latticed Learning, full of fantastic lesson ideas, book suggestions, craft plans, and more!


Host, Audrey, Friday Frivolity Superbowl / Football Memes Edition! (Sort of, Not Really...  ;P) Plus the Friday Frivolity LINKY PARTY - the blog link-up for all things Fun, Funny, Happy, and Hopeful!

Audrey is a wonderfully eclectic blogger, who not only can cook up a storm over on That Recipe, but also writes at Munofore - "MUsings NOt FOod RElated."  Munofore touches on humor, parenting, crafting, holiday ideas, tutorials, and more!  She has an AMAZING tutorial up right now on creating your very own mixed-media, Asian-inspired wall art!  I'm definitely going to be trying this project myself as soon as I move... so gorgeous!





Jessica is an amazingly funny and smart blogger from Wales who writes at Babi a Fi on a whole range of topics -- from entertaining vintage nostalgia, to technology tutorials, to book reviews, to raising her adorable munchkin, and so much more!  If you have a blog, you have GOT to check out her most recent post, "10 Things Every Blogger Should Know About Linked-In" -- so much helpful information!




Calling all bloggers looking for an upbeat and supportive group of pals to join in hosting the weekly #FridayFrivolity par-tay!  We are hoping to add to our ranks of dedicated hosts and co-hosts, and would love for you to consider joining the fun!  Co-Hosts are welcome on a temporary basis (usually a month), while Hosts make a more ongoing commitment.  :)  Swing by here to express interest and ask any questions!


Now time for the new stuff! 

This a link-up for all things funny, fun, encouraging, hopeful, and happy.  That includes free printables, giveaways, and other fun stuff to make us SMILE and start the weekend off on the right foot. 

If you're here in search of fun and uplifting reading materials, skip the rules and just start clickin'! 

Bloggy buddies, thanks for coming to par-tay! 


You are welcome to link up to 3 posts, and old posts are always welcome!  

There are three rules only: 



Friday Frivolity Superbowl / Football Memes Edition! (Sort of, Not Really...  ;P) Plus the Friday Frivolity LINKY PARTY - the blog link-up for all things Fun, Funny, Happy, and Hopeful!




Here are some of the places you might see this post partying! 


Like what you're reading? Subscribe via email, and I'll keep the good stuff coming! Then let me know that you did... I love to make new friends!



Funny Pokemon Go memes, real-life crazy stories, and a few cute puppies just cuz!  via Devastate Boredom

28 comments

  1. "p.s. if you're reading this come back in about 20 minutes, I'm still writing the post. :P Shhhhh don't tell on me ! I'm just a little behind tonight." ha ha ha ha! love it! I might use this sometime. I finished mine with about an hour to spare, don't ask me how. Back to vacation mode for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like it's going to be the next big thing over here. I prefer the puppy! Thanks for linking up to #FridayFrolics

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Friday and thanks for hosting!
    My 12 year old plays Pokemon Go but isn't too obsessed. In my small town I have seen groups of people here and there wandering about in parks or traffic lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had a dumb phone until just a few months ago. I'm not even sure that the smart phone I have would support this game, anyway. So you're not alone, Lisa!

    I seriously had to LOL (literally!) at the Russian Pokemon. That is hilarious! But that's why I come here each week... :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've a smart phone, but I'm not interested in Pokemon Go. Just not my cup of tea.

    Have a fabulous day. ☺

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't tried it out... yet. My brother has been out a lot looking for Pokemon though, and it's great fun watching people lost in the game. :D The council buildings have become Pokestops which they're super proud of - young people actually approaching the civic centre!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have NO clue what Pokemon is, well, now I know a bit more but hey, I'm not a device fan, so I avoid it when I can.... Thanks for the party & have a great weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The craziness is real I must say I think it's more fun to watch them hunt the pokemons than to take part

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm the oldie of the crowd and I have to admit that my husband and I aren't into this Pokeman thing; but the way you write about it and the says with the dogs makes me chuckle.

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOL. This is fun!
    The world's going crazy for this Pokemon Go.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great post! Great memes too! It was hugely interesting since I'm in South Africa only hearing about it. And the puppy problems, so funny! My middle daughter would join in if she wasn't so far away from it all. I have heard from her that Cape Town has people chasing down Pokemon. Thanks for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Haha! Remember the original Pokemon? My son was all into it. Until his friend decided they were going to be cool and NOT play. I kinda hope my 25 year old son doesn't get into this. After all, he is a bachelor, and I'm wanting him to meet "Mrs. Right". Perhaps at a local Pokemon convention as you mentioned, though...

    Cute post - thanks for sharing at Tuesday Talk!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Pokemon Go is sweeping the country. Latest fad.
    Thank you for bringing your post to the Blogger's Pit Stop last week.
    Janice, Pit Stop Crew

    ReplyDelete
  14. haha Pokemon Go is so much fun! I'm loving it personally :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I actually totally ignored Pokemon first time round...& I'm ignoring it now! I can see the appeal of this though & why people are enjoying it, but I've decided I have enough on & not getting dragged in! I'm not sure if I'm really unobservant but, whilst I have seen loads of it being discussed on SM, I have yet to actually see anyone doing this out in the world!

    Thanks so much for linking up with #FridayFrolics. Hope to see you next time!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Even if I got the whole Pokemon Go thing (which I completely DON'T) I don't have unlimited data on my phone. So no pokemon hunting for me.

    ReplyDelete
  17. There is a Pokemon Go gym located right outside my office building. It's so funny to watch people just standing there playing on their phones!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I can't believe how many people were at that event. Crazy! That puppy was too adorable, and I would not be able to stare at my phone instead. I've not tried Pokemon Go, and probably won't, but maybe the kids in a year or two.

    ReplyDelete
  19. So many people are talking about PokemonGo that I'm really tempted to try, but I don't need yet another phone game that I'm liable to lose hours of time to! This post has still been super entertaining :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Haha! This post made me laugh out loud. I have recently seen people wandering in our neighborhood doing weird things with their phones. Must me Pokemon Go, huh? Thank you for sharing at Family Joy Blog Link-up Party this week.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hahaha! My dumb phone and I are happy to finally have a clue what on earth this GO thing is all about (I'd seen people's FB comments during my brief wifi periods on the trip, but wasn't able to look anything up to figure anything out!) Curious to hear whether stepping out of the dark ages and getting a smartphone is really amazing, Jamie, and laughing so hard at how Audrey apparently "caught you" in mid-composition. Gosh, I'm happy to be back. I've missed all this fun!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I loved this post - and I was traveling and stopped in the middle of nowhere and there were about 10 people milling about at the rest area...I'm sure they were playing!

    Thanks for sharing with us at Throwback Thursday!

    Mollie

    ReplyDelete
  23. We have a park at the end of our street and have seen lots of young people out playing. They seem to be having fun while I'm sitting there with my knitting :) Thanks for sharing with us at Creatively Crafty :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I never thought that this would be anything I would be interested in. Teach me to judge before I try something. You know what assuming does, right? LOL Now I am having a ton of fun and getting exercise at the same time!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I didn't get into Pokemon the first time around but I find this one good. I don't get the whole battling thing but I do get the collecting of them. I'll be honest, it did get us out of the house!

    ReplyDelete
  26. it's amazing how Pokemon Go has taken off...even in my small town in Italy. Got a kick out of your blog post and the puppy is so cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. My six-year old son is in love with Pokemon. He just started collecting the cards. Luckily, he doesn't know about Pokemon Go or he'd be on my phone all the time!

    ReplyDelete
  28. It does make me laugh watching people out and about playing Pokemon go, such an eclectic mix of people - love the photo of the dog playing!

    ReplyDelete

I love to connect with new friends online! Please share your thoughts with me! :)

Back to Top