Friday Frivolity - A Nanowrimo Hangover and A Calorically-Booby-Trapped Pizza!! Join the Link-Up for all things Fun, Funny, Happy & Hopeful!


Dear, dear friends, thank you for your patience with me during the month of madness that was NaNoWriMo!  I am SO relieved that it's over, and also proud that I actually did successfully complete the challenge.... logging in at 10:36 pm Nov 30th with an official word count of 51,006!  Woooooo!

I have had a total Nanowrimo hangover ever since that moment, and have hardly touched a keyboard, haha!  There's also been, ya know, a lot of laundry and errands and chores to catch up on, since I completely neglected everything else during the whole month of November.  A necessary sacrifice (she says from behind a MASSIVE PILE of clean laundry... we're talking like, Mount Clotherest). 

Given how brain dead I am, Friday Frivolity will simply consist of one laugh at my own expense this week....  anybody heard of Home Run pizza?  It's the frozen kind, and not one I'd ever noticed in Atlanta, or really at all, until this one day....


This one day, while I'm in the midst of a spurt of frantic writing, my husband calls on his way home from work and offers to pick up a pizza.  To try to be frugal and more healthy, we agree we should get something from the grocery store instead of an actual pizza joint.  He calls me again from the grocery store to discuss pizza options, and sadly relays the news that Dallas grocery stores don't seem to have any of the spinach-and-feta thin crust that was our go-to in Atlanta.  (Publix Greenwise and Kroger's organic line both have a version, as does Amy's Organic pizza.  All delicious, FYI, and highly recommended)  

This is a grave set-back to our dinner plans, to be sure, and as he starts telling me about the other pizzas they DO carry, nothing sounds that great.  Finally he's like, "Oh hey, this one has uncured meat on it.  We like that, right?"  Given that uncured meat is certainly a better health-choice than cured meat, I agree, and he buys that pizza.  

He gets home, we bake the pizza, we eat the pizza... 

With the aforementioned spinach-and-feta thin-crust delicacies, we have gotten in the habit of splitting the pizza, for a dinner of roughly 500 calories each.  Without thinking much about it, we did the same thing for this pizza.  Upon concluding our dinner, I say something about how I've been meaning to start tracking nutrition again since we're getting closer to the holidays, and those junk calories have a devious way of creeping up on a person.... so I head over to the discarded pizza box and pick it up.  This is what I see.  

Friends.  FRIENDS.  We each ate HALF THE PIZZA.  As a little simple math will quickly tell you, we each ate 1200+ calories of pizza!  My husband had to come in to the kitchen to see why on earth I was laughing hysterically with the pizza box in hand.  *shakes head*  

The funniest part... the pizza WASN'T EVEN GOOD.  Not even by bake-at-home standards.  If I had known I was going to eat 1200 calories for that dinner, I would have had us spring for REAL pizza... or even opted for a couple of hard boiled eggs and a pint of ice cream.  *heavy sigh*  

I should have known better, since pizza is often calorically booby-trapped... but I was foolish!  Foolish, I say!!  And hungry!!  I will do better next time, I swear.  My 1200 calories will be spent on something actually worth eating.


Now on to the link-up! :D 

Devastate Boredom

The Host:


Friday Frivolity Host Sarah Eliza from Devastate Boredom



Sarah Eliza is on a mission to Devastate Boredom by living a life full of all of her favorite things... friendship and connection, laughter, furbaby love,  books and media, wellness pursuits, minimalism, traveling, Paleo-ish cooking, and on and on!  Come by each week for the Friday Frivolity blog party and start your weekend off right!



The Co-Host: 


For anybody who cares enough to read this boring middle stuff, I'm currently looking for a few good co-hosts to begin in January!!  I'm honestly running out of steam hosting FF all on my own (though that might just be the Nanowrimo-hangover talking...), and would love to have hosts and cohosts on a regular basis.  If you are interested in hosting, whether just once or ongoing, please click here to let me know!  Not only is it fun to host with buddies, it's more exposure for your site and the posts linked up... good stuff all around.  :)

 Drum roll for our feature please, chosen (from the rule-following posts) based on the number of readers' clicks! 


I'm excited this one ended up as the feature, because it totally deserves more attention!  Lisa over at Syncopated Mama has developed a really fantastic DIY Christmas gift -- a "Year of Fun" set of printables, designed to provide the giftee with monthly unique, creative, and fun "events."  I'm planning to make one for my husband!  Yay pre-made date-nights!!  Click through to check it out.  :) 

Now for the NEW stuff! 

This a link-up for all things funny, fun, encouraging, hopeful, and happy.  That includes free printables, giveaways, and other fun stuff to make us SMILE and start the weekend off on the right foot. 

If you're just here to have fun, skip the rules and start clickin'! 

Bloggy buddies, thanks for coming to par-tay! You are welcome to link up to three posts, and old posts are always welcome!  There are three rules only: 

1. Please be generous with your clicks and comments! Blogging is all about connection, and nothing is more fun than knowing something you wrote was meaningful to a reader. Encourage some of the other folks at this link-up with your presence and interest. :) 

2. Link back to one of the hosts' site please!  (the old Free and Fun Friday blog button is fine, and we have a shiny new Friday Frivolity button on the sidebar as well!)

3. Follow Devastate Boredom via your favorite bloggy source... Let me know that you followed and where, and I will follow you back in return! 


Devastate Boredom:



As a bonus, please consider tweeting about the party!  More people at the party means more reading-and-commenting love all around!

(to review - RULE FOLLOWING means you have followed your hosts, linked back in an easily visible way, and commented on someone else's post(s) at the link-up.  Yay!)  


We're so happy you're here! Let's have some fun. :D



Here are some of the places you might see this post partying

Like what you're reading?  Subscribe via your favorite bloggy source, and I'll keep the good stuff coming!  And then let me know that you did... I love to make new friends!  

  Follow

Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner

23 comments

  1. Certain foods get the best of us, Thanks for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, that's ridiculous. I wouldn't have minded the calorie count if it tasted good. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, same here... I wouldn't have batted an eye if the taste-factor had been worth it!

      Delete
  3. I can't wait to hear how your hubby likes the gift (and you, too, since it ends up being a gift for both of you!) Now, off to go clean up all the bean soup I spit out of my mouth while reading your hilarious post on that pizza - and yay for uncured meat! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, thank you for providing me with such a fun ready-made gift!

      The uncured meat was literally the only good thing about that pizza *shakes head* ;)

      Delete
  4. Forgot to say - thank you for the feature (darn you, publish-happy pinky finger), and make sure you stop by my 5 After 5 post tomorrow...it's my favorite blogs! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :D I loved my fun feature!! But, PS, I was way behind in reading comments, so I found it myself reading your blog BEFORE I saw this comment... so it was totally a fun surprise. :D Thanks again!!

      Delete
  5. Gah, sneaky calories! *Standing ovation for completing NaNoWriMo* Give those tired fingers and creative juices a rest, you've earned it!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow and WOW! Not just on the calorie kill :) BIG WOW and Congrats on NaNoWriMo. It's on my list. I follow along, even have a draft...for 'someday'. Great job! Thanks for hostessing #fridayFrivolity. Shandra

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Shandra! :) Some friends and I are talking about doing a JaNaNoWriMo -- "January Nanowrimo" -- you should join us!! Someday can be now...!

      Delete
  7. Congratulations on succeeding on your writing challenge. That rocks.

    As for the pizza? Bwahahahahahahaha. I've done that before and I'd rather have something that really tastes good if I'm going to have that high calorie dinner.

    Have a fabulous weekend. ☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Sandee!! Meeeee too, it wouldn't have phased me if it was an amazing pizza... but I kept thinking how much I would rather have just eaten a pint of ice cream... ;P

      Delete
  8. I doubt I ever would have thought to look at the calorie content of my pizza. Then again, the kids eat so much of it that it kind of puts me on an automatic diet anyway!

    Congrats on getting through NaNoWriMo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jamie! Ahahaha I was actually thinking of that the other day, "hmmmm so when we have kids we're going to have to make like, two or three pizzas..." suddenly not so frugal. ;P

      Delete
  9. Thank you for hosting. Followed you on Bloglovin' and twitter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad to have you Margaretha! I tried to find you on twitter, but didn't spot you... I'll keep watching for you though so I can follow back!

      Delete
  10. You're pizza story literally had me laughing out loud!!!!! Fabulous :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh good, haha! I had my finger hovering over the publish button going, "oh man this is so dumb nobody is going to want to read this..." but by then it was time for the party to go live and I didn't have anything else to publish so I just went with it.... So glad you found it entertaining Ashlee! :)

      Delete
  11. So disappointing--if you're going to indulge in unhealthy food, it better at least taste good. I can usually pack away at least 4 slices of a large pizza if it's good pizza--love that stuff. I only like cheese, though. Apparently I have the topping preferences of a toddler.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right?? I love pizza too.... it's been a while since I've just had plain cheese though! You're not a toddler, you're a purist! ;)

      Delete
  12. 1200 calories of something you didn't love sounds like a hard pill to swallow

    ReplyDelete

I love to connect with new friends online! Please share your thoughts with me! :)

Back to Top