Sample "Classically Feminine, Preppy-ish" Capsule Wardrobe, 3-Season, 20-piece 70+outfit mix-and-match minimalist fashion inspiration!

SO much easier to understand capsule wardrobes with a visual! and it's not monochromatic either!  Great ideas here for a "Classically Feminine, Preppy-ish" Capsule Wardrobe!  Inspiration for a 3-Season, 20-piece 70+outfit minimalist closet.  Easy approach and inspiration for mix-and-match style!  Classic fashion, modest looks - via Devastate Boredom
Hungry for more fashion fun and Capsule Wardrobe / minimalist style updates?

"Make Your Closet Amazing" Newsletter Subscription:

* indicates required




Update August 2016 -- I have HUGE news for a fashion-savvy Capsule Wardrobe lovin' girl like you!  My shiny, awesome new book Secrets of the Capsule Wardrobe:  How to Find Your Personal Style & Create a Happy, Confident Closet! is now available!!  It is truly the Perfected Guide to finding your personal style and building a effortless, confidence-inspiring, non-boring capsule wardrobe, step-by-step! You'll also find never-before-published information on how to continue to curate your collection of clothing by purposeful shopping in the future, how to avoid the three most common mistakes that will SABOTAGE your Capsule Wardrobe, a whole chapter on the role of accessories in your minimalist closet, and more.  Go check it out right now... a happy closet awaits you!



As you all probably know if you've been around here very long, I'm a big fan of minimalism and capsule wardrobes.  Personally, I find it easier to keep focused on the things that are important to me when I'm less distracted by "stuff"... whether it's extra stuff I have to dust and organize, or so many items of clothing crowded into my closet that I can't easily decide what to wear.

A few weeks ago I did a post showing an example capsule wardrobe based on my own style -- what I called "comfy creative neo-indie," because, how boring is a personal style that fits entirely within a ordinary label?  ;P  I also promised to do more examples for inspirational purposes going forward, because I think there is a lot of talk about "capsule wardrobes" without anyone really knowing what that looks like, besides, you know, "small."  

So, as promised, here is my inspiration / sample capsule wardrobe for a more "classic" preppy-ish style.  The base colors for this one are navy, khaki, and white -- on my screen some of the navies look black, but they're not... you could easily sub-in black for the navy though, if you did prefer that.



Inspiration for a Classic, Feminine, "preppy"-ish Capsule Wardrobe


SO much easier to understand capsule wardrobes with a visual! and it's not monochromatic either!  Great ideas here for a "Classically Feminine, Preppy-ish" Capsule Wardrobe!  Inspiration for a 3-Season, 20-piece 70+outfit minimalist closet.  Easy approach and inspiration for mix-and-match style!  Classic fashion, modest looks - via Devastate Boredom


Similar items currently available:
This wardrobe consists of 20 pieces, combining for a total of 70+ outfits.  

Note that 20 pieces, 70+ outfits is a pretty big difference between 15 pieces, 45 outfits from last time... that's mostly because the blazer / sweater / button downs make for a whole slew of layering possibilities.  We also have 6 different flexible bases here, in contrast to last time with only 4 bases.  Gotta balance those bases people!

Also note -- this wardrobe would work pretty easily for spring, summer, AND fall.  In theory you could make it year-round with the addition of eight or ten more pieces... tights, leggings, a few long sleeve tops, a few sweaters, and probably a heavier layering piece.  Of course you would need boots and jackets / coats too, but I never put shoes or outerwear in the "count" of a capsule wardrobe.  Those belong in the "well duh, I'm going to need that..." category.

The floral dress is the least flexible piece in this wardrobe, but you can still dress it up or down with the blazer, sweater, chambray button down, or either of the white pieces... the pink belt would also work nicely to change up the look of the dress.  And if your style sense is bold enough to allow you to layer patterns, stripes, etc over floral, you'll get even more milage out of it!  ;P  No longer available -- subbed in an even more flexible blue lacy dress!

I hope this is a helpful visual for anybody who might be intrigued by a capsule wardrobe but confused by the logistics... let me know if you have a specific kind of style, or specific colors that you'd like me to use to brainstorm next time's inspiration!



Here are some of the places you might see this post partying! 



Like what you're reading? Subscribe via email, and I'll keep the good stuff coming! 




14 comments

  1. Mix and match is the way to go. You'll always look like you have an entirely different outfit.

    Have a fabulous day. ☺

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooh, I LOVE that stripedy halter top - and I'd never think of putting something like that with shorts - I have a few of those types of tops that I'd wear under suits for work, but I'm suddenly realizing that they would look really cool with a pair of shorts, like in that photo - and while I can't give up my polo-style shirts completely, I need to try to make myself wear something other than those or bold-colored fitted t-shirts all the time... :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh YAY, I'm so happy you got a couple of fun ideas! I think a shirt like that would be so cute with shorts... do it!! ;)

      Polo shirts are great too, but I avoided them a little in this scenario because the collar seems like it would be hard to layer under anything but the cardigan... definitely can't wear it under the chambray. But you tell me, could you wear a polo under a blazer and have the collar look okay?

      Delete
  3. I love this mix, I can imagine putting together so many different looks from these. My fave pieces are the colourful striped sleeveless blouse and the polkadot shoes - they are so cool! x #FridayFrivolity

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jess! I loved the polka dot shoes tooooo... such a fun touch. :)

      Delete
  4. I can't believe you can do 70 outfits with only 20 pieces!! Wow!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great collection. Totally my style: preppy feminine. Now I have a name for how I dress! Thanks for linking up with Funtastic Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Every outfit I buy has to match with something else in my wardrobe whether a bag, shoe, scarf, Pants, top etc...Unless I am splashing out, in which case i will buy a few accesories to match teh outfit with and others in my robe :) Thanks for sharing at the bloggers pit stop - Pit Stop Crew!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cute! I think I'm going to create a capsule summer wardrobe this year, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great pics there I can see a few things I love, although I am meant to be budgeting lol, #thrivingonThursdays

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great selections Sarah Eliza. I have been working on reducing my summer wardrobe to a few colors, mostly neutrals and a few bits of color. But I really love the look of white and beige/khaki for the summer. Thanks for providing us with summery sweet inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this. There are so many pieces that I either want or that are similar to my wardrobe. I am a huge fan of jackets, and how they extend my wardrobe. It's amazing how many things you can pair them with. I love a great graphic T and a jacket with jeans, or switch it up and wear a nice blouse instead with the jacket, the whole look changes. And those shoes with the orange polka dots? LOVE them!

    This is a great idea, almost all my clothes are mix and match, I just have a problem with holding on to far too many things!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this Sarah. I'm in the process of putting together my capsule wardrobe too. Thanks so much for sharing at Thriving on Thursdays last week. It was good to see you again. (I didn't make it to Friday Frivolity last week, sorry. I've been crazy busy here. I'll be away this Friday too so I'll catch you next week.) Have a great week.

    Anne xx

    ReplyDelete

I love to connect with new friends online! Please share your thoughts with me! :)

Back to Top