READ or DON'T Read - I'm Happy For You (Sort Of... Not Really), by Kay Wills Wyma - Book Review in Miniature

Part of my READ or DON'T Read series, I review I'm Happy For You (Sort of... Not Really) by Kay Wills Wyma.  This self-improvement, Christian, faith - based memoir discusses the "comparison culture" that can lead to insecurity, frustration, and a loss of joy... but thankfully, we're not stuck in that place! via Devastate Boredom
I'm Happy For You (Sort Of... Not Really) by Kay Wills Wyma
Self-Improvement, Christian, Faith, Non-Fiction, Memoir
READ, if you're a human being

I "won" this book recently, which part of me thinks was God handing it to me and going, "here, you need this."  Because, I SO totally did.  I don't even want to admit to you how often lately I had been comparing myself to other people, both in person and online, and feeling good or bad about myself based on the results.... it's too embarrassing.  Let's just say


it had gotten really bad, k?  And based on conversations with some of my closest friends, I wasn't alone in the comparison game either!  I'd venture to say all of us are probably dealing with it to one extent or another.  ("Mommy Wars," I'm looking at you!  ;P)

Without once being preachy or overly simplistic, Wyma discusses how rampant the "comparison culture" truly has become (thanks facebook, instagram, and pinterest.... *rolls eyes*) and helps to gradually shift your context to prevent comparison from stealing your joy.  I enjoyed getting to know her in the memoir-y sections, and felt like I really benefited from the more "self-improvement-y" sections.  As a bonus, Wyma is funny too!




I could say with a measure of drama that this book changed my life, and I think that statement actually would be true.  It was a relief to know I wasn't alone in letting my self-worth be determined by how I think I measure up with the competition, and also that I wasn't STUCK in that place of insecurity and frustration.

Since reading I'm Happy For You (Sort of... Not Really), I feel like I have been able to connect more genuinely with the people around me, and have been able to say "I'm happy for you!" and really mean it.  I still have a ways to go, but now that I'm aware of the problem, I also know that this is an area of my life that I CAN change.

A quick note -- the author writes from the perspective of Christianity, but I really think that the book is so universal that most people would get something out of it even if they aren't people "of faith."  So don't let the "Christian" part put you off of this book altogether!  If comparison is an issue you struggle with, this book can help get you started on a more joyful, secure path.  :)  



I'd love to hear your thoughts -- how do you deal with the insecurity and frustration that comes from our "comparison culture"?  And if you'd rather chat privately, shoot me a message on facebook.  :)


Part of my READ or DON'T Read series, I review I'm Happy For You (Sort of... Not Really) by Kay Wills Wyma.  This self-improvement, Christian, faith - based memoir discusses the "comparison culture" that can lead to insecurity, frustration, and a loss of joy... but thankfully, we're not stuck in that place! via Devastate Boredom
My dogs are clearly VERY literary!  And yes, I can thank the little one for the rumpled book cover.


Here are some of the places you might see this post partying! 



Like what you're reading? Subscribe via email, and I'll keep the good stuff coming! 




14 comments

  1. You are the second person to mention this book to me in 2 days! Maybe God is trying to tell ME something! 😄

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that's so cool! I hope I am part of a cosmic message to you!! :) Read it and come back and tell me what you think...!

      Delete
  2. Great review. I'm going to check it out.
    I started reading John Maxwell books recently. He also writes from his Christian perspective (he's a pastor) but he always tells you in the book when he's going to talk about his faith and you can skip over that part and still get a lot from the book.
    The Tenets of Christianity are universal so everyone can relate to the teachings. That's what makes it so beautiful.
    Http://Runwright.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmmmm this book doesn't separate out the faith aspects, but it's more about living life well inspired by our faith, and the "living life well" ends up being really universal, like you were saying.

      I've heard good things about John Maxwell, and noticed your reviews of him on your blog! I'll have to keep him in mind...

      Delete
  3. I don't have this problem fortunately. I'm happy for anyone that is happy about something. I'm me and I just don't have the energy to compare myself with others. I'm no better or worse than the next person.

    It does sound like a fun read though. Love the title!

    Have a fabulous day. ☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so happy for you (really! ;P) not to have to deal with comparison! I'm getting there...! ;)

      Delete
  4. I read this post the other day, and must have gotten distracted and didn't comment. I can really relate to this! It's like I need validation from others to feel good about myself, especially about blogging. No comments or Facebook likes = failure. I'll have to check this one out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think a lot of bloggers feel that way!! I do, for sure. Definitely give it a read, it helped me!

      Delete
  5. OOh, she is calling my name! Sometimes I get soo depressed cuz I'm such a bad"_____".
    And really, I'm harder on myself than need be, (sometimes). I love when you recommend reading a book if you're human!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm loving these book recommendations you've been doling out - putting this one on hold, too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think this book is perfect in this time and age.

    ReplyDelete
  8. There is nothing worse to a person's esteem than comparing to another human being. Sad fact is all those Facebook posts and instagram selfies are forcing us to compare our lives with others and feel bad and sad about ourselves

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had a twinge of comparison guilt this morning when I saw the spreads a few of my mommy friends did for St Patrick's Day this morning. Mine got fed cold cereal, salami sandwich and fruit for lunch and no leprechauns in site. And then it passed.

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh, this sounds like something I need in my life! I'm forever comparing myself to everyone and it only makes me feel bad.

    ReplyDelete

I love to connect with new friends online! Please share your thoughts with me! :)

Back to Top