Guest Book Review: The Wedding Wager, aka, "Car Crash with Destiny"

After my life-long bestie Samantha York regaled me with a hilarious description of the book she was currently reading, I just knew I needed to have her guest post with a review!  Enjoy!


Hilarious review of The Wedding Wager, or a car wreck with destiny -- Samantha Says READ or DON'T Read book recommendations via Devastate Boredom
A Review of The Wedding Wager, or as I would have called it, "A Car Wreck with Destiny"
By Samantha York

As a habitual insomniac, I've seen the wrong side of midnight one too many times. We're not talking about productive, crazy-genius awakeness a la Nikola Tesla. On the contrary, it's stubborn restlessness of mind that refuses to be entertained. In these moments I prowl through the free offerings on Amazon's kindle bookstore, braving archaic texts and the un-famous undead. While I'm not entirely above a Harlequin-esque romance, I generally stick to the ones billed as sweet and clean by reviewers. Although in this case, they entirely missed tagging it as "idiotically unrealistic."



The book is called The Wedding Wager. The gist is as follows. All alone in the world, freshly discharged from a six month hospital ordeal following a catastrophic car wreck, 20 something Megan answers an obscure want ad searching for a "personal secretary."  Feeling alone in the world and like she has no other choice, she hops unquestioningly into the limo sent for her. Because, after a whole hour spent looking at want ads, she clearly has no other options. /sarcasm. Does she end up on the 11 pm news? Kidnapped? Sold into slavery?


No! *spoilers ahead.* She ends up married to a billionaire! A young handsome billionaire who is going to pay all her hospital bills! All she has to do is look pretty! And spend his thousands on new designer clothes! And pretend to love him! Until....surprise! They aren't pretending anymore. It's worse than Disney princesses, y'all! I kept at it, page after page, hoping for a plot twist, a surprise, anything. But no deviation from the formula was to be had. Even an angry, verbally abusive father-in-law could not thwart the moral of this sugary tale.


And what was the moral of the story? Thousands of dollars in hospital debt justifies answering sketchy job postings and completely ignoring common sense. These behaviors never end badly! They end up with billionaire husbands! Now go forth and conquer, my fellow women!


No really don't. Please don't. I don't want to see your tragic end on my tv set tonight. Be bold enough to look past the iffy, glitzy offers and make a wise decision instead!



We hope you enjoyed that edition of "What not to read," with Samantha and Sarah!  Check out more Samantha Says and READ / DON'T Read book reviews here... And if that book was actually right up your ally and you're excited we brought it to your attention, check it out on Amazon.  It's currently free!  And as we hear, the first in a riveting series.  ;)





Here are some of the places you might see this post partying! 



Like what you're reading? Subscribe via email, and I'll keep the good stuff coming! 




13 comments

  1. Ha ha ha!!! That was hilarious, and I loved reading it. Will probably skip this book though. :) Thanks for sharing this at Booknificent Thursday!
    Tina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tina, skipping the book would be a smart idea! ;) Glad you enjoyed the review!

      Delete
  2. Funny. Indeed. I laughed. I wish life would turn out that way, not. Thanks for linking up at Literacy Musing Mondays. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I mean, hey, it would be lovely! But in real life, it would be some kind of scam, at best... ;P

      Delete
    2. The billionaire part I was down with, the calling random numbers and getting into random cars part...not so much. So glad you liked the review!! :)

      Delete
  3. I wanna read it right now! Said no thinking woman ever.
    Haha, don't you hate those kind? I love it- idiotically unrealistic!
    Sarah, I'll be back for more, fer sure!
    PurpleSlobinRecovery

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ;) Oh escapism. C'mon, even Disney has a few plot-twists!

      Come back soon!!

      Delete
    2. I was seriously thinking it should have a warning so that the thinking woman types would know to avoid it altogether! Maybe my wasted time was not in vain. ;)

      Delete
  4. I remember watching a Katherine Heigl chick flick once and having these exact feelings! What I wouldn't give to get those 90 minutes back!

    So you're saying I should buy this book then? :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh Katherine Heigl... that would be perfect casting for this one too... great idea! ;P

      Delete
  5. Haha this is funny!! I've never seen a book for only $.99 sooooo if that says anything! Thanks for linking up with us :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hehe, oh I know the type all too well! I often think Amazon is punishing me for being such a cheapskate by ensuring the worst titles possible (to my taste) turn up in my recommended ebooks section... :) #fridayfrivolity

    ReplyDelete

I love to connect with new friends online! Please share your thoughts with me! :)

Back to Top