MP3 Madness: Amazon Must-Haves, aka free-&-legal tunes from Au Revoir Simone, the Lovell Sisters, and a full album of rock!

Have y'all picked up on the fact that I'm going to be doing my MP3 Madness posts a bit different from now on? What with school, work, trying to figure out a wedding, still have a life, AND get to sleep occasionally, I just don't have time for the kind of long all-encompassing posts that I prefer to write. So prepare yourself for more "telegraphs from the battlefield" type missives, that will hopefully still keep us all up-to-date on what's free, legal, and awesome in the music world.

Today I'm highlighting a few freebies from Amazon, starting with an Au Revoir Simone track that I may or may not have already mentioned before. I refuse to check, just because I love them enough to mention them twice if that's how it's gotta be. ;P The song is "Shadows" from the album Still Night, Still Light from last year. They're among my indie-rock favorites, and I think pretty much anybody would find their music enjoyable... or so my biased opinion goes anyhow.

There's also two free tracks from the Lovell Sisters -- "Time to Grow" and "In My Time of Dyin.'" I somehow managed to not know the history of that last song, but it's apparently a blues stand-by that was covered by Led Zeppelin at some point, and gets a fresh, bluegrass treatment here. If you enjoyed the Oh Brother Where Art Thou soundtrack you'll probably like these.

One I wasn't planning on mentioning but just stumbled across while I was downloading the Lovell Sisters' tracks is the song "Way to Here" by Gypsy Tailwind. Anybody know this group?? As soon as I get some extra time (HA) I'm going to have to try to do some researching, because this free track is good. It's another folk/bluegrass type, but with some really nice male/female vocal interplay (also known as a duet, but that somehow didn't express it for me).

Then we've got a whole album (11 tracks!) called Great City, from an alternative rock group named Revere. I'm still listening through this one, but I like it a lot so far -- if you like more hard rock stuff then this one is for you. Edit: Aha! I have it now.. I was trying and trying to remember who they reminded me of. I think they remind me of My Chemical Romance, if that helps you imagine their sound...

Ok, gotta make myself stop... that's all for now, but if you haven't already you should consider subscribing via email or RSS so that you won't miss a single update! I promise to keep your iPod slammin' and jammin'. Um yea, I just made that up. But you get the idea. ;)

No comments

I love to connect with new friends online! Please share your thoughts with me! :)

Back to Top