Best tip ever: Conditioner "subbing" as shaving cream...

Several years ago I read a tip in some women's magazine about how, if circumstances were dire enough, you could use hair conditioner as shaving cream. The magazine even explained that the proteins in hair conditioner were ideally suited to protect the shaver from nicks. Having always been clumsy, and with a scar on my ankle to prove it, I seized upon this idea with great enthusiasm. And it worked for me, beautifully! However, I rejected the notion that this substitution was only good in a pinch, and haven't bought shaving cream since. Not only do my ankles and knees suffer fewer bandaid-worthy indignities in the quest to be ready for shorts-weather, but I also have fewer bottles in my bathroom... always a plus for a products-loving, clutter-abhorring, girly-girl like me. In addition, my environmentalist side loves that I don't have to puzzle over whether metal shaving cream containers are recyclable, and my Thriftie side loves that I don't have to shell out money on what tend to be an expensive item, when I can regularly get conditioner for very cheap... or even free if CVS is being particularly obliging! And finally, when I was in a long-distance relationship and going out of town most weekends, it was one less thing to have to remember to pack. All in all ladies, let me advise that you give this one a try for yourself... there are lots of reasons why you just might find it works for you too.

This post is participating in Works For Me Wednesday, at We Are THAT Family. Check it out for great tips and ideas!

Disclaimer: Make sure to rinse your shower well after the experiment, cuz the conditioner can leave things a bit slippy...

8 comments

  1. I've done this for years and boy are my legs soft afterwards. Plus you can use $1 store conditioner so it's cheap too! Great tip to pass on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm... good idea!

    Yeah, the wedding was pretty fascinating! It is tradition in the area. The little remote villages are so small that it's pretty much all family, so the parents go to other villages to find a spouse. Much of the ceremony the bride wept, perhaps out of fear, perhaps out of sadness that she was leaving her family. But actually, when he came and took her to his village the next evening, she would only spend one night with him and then would go back home for a month before he came to claim her for good. The missionary that was explaining it all also said that it was quite likely that the woman would continue to veil herself even when it was just the two of them until they had their first child. Isn't that CRAZY??

    The women always, always cover their heads in public (I got those photos because I was at a womens' ceremony with no men around), but that they would cover themselves in front of their husband amazes me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hilarious...i have done the same thing! i still fall for shaving cream, though. it's because i like to play with it and write my name on the shower door, though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is actually very true. I usually shave in the shower after I"ve conditioned my hair and I've never used shaving cream.

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is the only type of shaving cream i will use, LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always do this. I like it better than shaving cream also! Great tip.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do this too. I think it works better than shaving cream. Although I do like the Trader Joes mango shaving cream - because it's like hair conditioner. go fig.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I read this tip a while back and thought it was a great idea! It's wonderful for using up those conditioners that don't work so well on your hair, and leave it a bit too oily looking.

    ReplyDelete

I love to connect with new friends online! Please share your thoughts with me! :)

Back to Top