Celebrate Big Picture Day (your future will thank you!)

I just stumbled across this post at The Part Time Perfectionist, and it was really what I needed to hear at the moment so I thought I'd pass it on... The gist:

Haven’t you heard? It’s Big Picture Day. Today you are not allowed to think about the 74 unread emails in your inbox, the fact that you only have two clean pairs of socks left, or any everyday tasks. Today you should discover the meaning of life, rethink your career path, or come up with a new business idea.

Take this moment to pause in whatever you're doing ("silly Sarah Eliza," you think, "obviously right this moment I'm reading blogs...") and remember the three things that are most important to you. A good rule for this one: you shouldn't have to think too hard about it. Those three things (or five, or eight) should be immediately obvious to you... If they aren't, then it's probably safe to say that it's time for a priority check. Next, do the whole "visualize yourself in five years" thing. Are your current actions/decisions in line with where, and who, you see yourself being? If that's where you want to end up, then common sense very plainly states that that's the direction you need to be heading today.

Lately this has been hard for me; I've been far too easily bogged down and discouraged by details and the hectic day-to-day. Celebrating a Big Picture holiday is just what I need. Don't put it off! It might be a pain today, but it won't be any easier to find time for it tomorrow or the next day either. Break through the inertia now, and use this moment to take a long clear look at the Big Picture. :)

2 comments

  1. huh....very cool indeed! if i weren't so consumed with checking my blog email, comments, and blogging itself, i'd def. take a second to think about it ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, I need to do this, but maybe I could do it tomorrow? My inbox is bogged down, my house is a mess........ :)

    ReplyDelete

I love to connect with new friends online! Please share your thoughts with me! :)

Back to Top