Adventures in the Realm of the Edible: Black Rice Curried Meatloaf

Meatloaf was the order of business this past week.... but not just any old serve-with-ketchup-meatloaf. Lured as always by the mere mention of curry, we gave this recipe for Black Rice Curried Meatloaf a try to marvelous results. Highlighting shredded zucchini, wild rice, and a dash of curry, this dish is designed to break any preconceived notions of meatloaf.

Photo is from Eatingwell's website -- click through for the recipe!

 It also deserves extra kudos for being the only recipe I've found so far that will have my boyfriend eating zucchini without a murmur... If this recipe isn't already in that cookbook about how to trick your picky children into eating vegetables, then it darn well should be! The only "con" we found is that the recipe makes one huuuge loaf of meat-ness, and as we tend to get bored with the same meal over and over again, I felt pretty certain that the appeal would run out before the food did. But, inspired by this post at the Simple Dollar where Trent provides a "formula" for casseroles, I recycled the leftovers into a really good layered dish. This recipe, being of my own creation (or adaptation anyway) I provide below.

Extend-the-Meatloaf -Trend Casserole

1.5 cups mealoaf, crumbled
1.5 cups vegetables (we had leftover asparagus and corn)
1 cup seasoned wild rice (I used the Uncle Ben's Sundried Tomato blend)
1.5 cups garlic-and-onion tomato sauce
Italian blend cheese

All measurements are rough estimates, as I was mostly focused on keeping everything proportional while using up the leftovers. Also, no additional seasoning is really required, because the wild rice, tomato sauce, and meatloaf all have a plethora of flavors going on already. Layer the ingredients in the order given in a loaf pan, stick it in the oven at 350 for 20-25 minutes, and voila! a surprisingly good casserole. Preparation time: 20 minutes or less. Total time: 40-45 minutes. Dinner served, waste avoided, budget maintained, creativity exercised.

All in all, a good night.

1 comment

  1. Cool recipe! I got a lot of curry during my travels (language difficulties resulted in my purchasing 1 kilo of curry rather than the smaller amount I thought I was getting!) and I'm trying to find creative uses for it. As a matter of fact, would you like some? Sounds like you might find some uses for it too!

    ReplyDelete

I love to connect with new friends online! Please share your thoughts with me! :)

Back to Top